We have continued seeking applications for the 2017 – 2019 Board term!
“Through my service on YNPN Chicago’s Executive Board, I’ve had the chance to be a leader in the nonprofit sector in Chicago as well as across the country. It’s a unique opportunity for a young nonprofit professional to gain leadership experience at a time in one’s career when it may not be easily available.” – Sabina Wee
“Aside from the incredible people I have met over the last year, service on the YNPN Chicago Board has given me opportunities for professional development that aren’t available through my organization.” – Heather Domabyl
“Being on the Board has not only helped me identify strengths I possess as a professional, but also areas in which I can continue to grow. It’s been great to grow as a professional alongside a group of my peers who push me to be a better leader.” – Jessica Lopez
Who We Are
YNPN Chicago’s Executive Board is comprised of 15-20 young nonprofit professionals from the city’s premier mission-driven organizations. The all-volunteer, working board oversees all of YNPN Chicago’s operations and activities and is committed to strengthening the nonprofit community. Serving on the board offers a unique opportunity to influence the direction of Chicago’s nonprofit sector and the chance to interact with the city’s best and brightest public service leaders.
How It Works
While all board members are involved in shaping the direction of YNPN Chicago, the board structure invites a primary focus on one specific area of the organization. Currently, our focus areas include: Communications, Development, Finance, Membership, Programming, Special Events, and coordination with YNPN National. YNPN Chicago remains flexible in changing focus areas depending on evolving needs and capacity. Board members serve a two-year term and are required to attend monthly meetings on a designated weekday evening. Board members host meetings at their offices, which are typically downtown. Individuals elected to the board are also expected to contribute financially in the form of annual dues of $75.
Review our general requirements and open positions HERE!
Who We Look For
- A passion for the mission of YNPN Chicago and the larger nonprofit sector
- Ability dedicate an average of 6-10 hours per week on YNPN Chicago responsibilities and activities
- Organized, self-starters who are eager to contribute and able to accomplish projects with little supervision
- Deadline-driven and detail-oriented
- Ability to balance idea generation with execution
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- The ability to work independently and in a collaborative, team environment
- A clear track record of successful leadership
- Demonstrated skills and experience related to specific focus area
- Able to represent YNPN Chicago to the larger membership
Statement on Attracting Candidates from All Backgrounds
YNPN Chicago values diversity among our applicant pool and among our members. We strongly encourage people from all backgrounds, especially racial and ethnic minorities, people with disabilities, and veterans, to apply for board service. We welcome smart people with non-linear/non-traditional experience and educational backgrounds. No matter their background, candidates should embrace, advocate for, and value equity, diversity, and inclusion. We are proud of our stance and commitment toward creating an equitable, diverse and inclusive network and social sector! You can read more about YNPN Chicago’s commitment to diversity and inclusion here.
All applicants are asked to submit an online application along with a resume and letter of reference by 11:59 p.m. on Friday, October 13, 2017. Letter of reference should be no more than one page in length and should be provided by your immediate supervisor or someone who knows you well professionally and/or personally. We encourage your recommender to provide explicit examples of your ability to fulfill the duties and expectations of a board member.
*ABOUT THE ONLINE APPLICATION:
- Please note: You will only be able to access your online application one time through SurveyMonkey. The system will also require you to complete each question before proceeding. We highly recommend that you preview our application here and prepare your answers in advance before beginning your submission.
- You will need to submit PDF copies of your resume and letter of reference during the application process online. Please prepare these in advance so you can submit them at the time you are applying.