Applications for the 2017-2019 board term open July 5!
“Serving on the YNPN board has been the most meaningful professional development experience I’ve had thus far.” -Lauren King
Serving on YNPN Chicagos Executive Board has allowed me the opportunity to learn new skills. I don’t do communications in my day-job, but it pairs really well with fundraising so I am getting exposure to areas that will help my career.“ Amy Podlesak
“I know that the hands-on skills I’ve developed from being on a working board will serve me as I continue to grow as a leader.” -Katie Pieper
Who We Are
YNPN Chicago’s Executive Board comprises 15-20 young professionals from the city’s premier mission-driven organizations. While we are primarily comprised of nonprofit professionals, we are welcoming to those of other sectors. The all-volunteer, working board oversees all of YNPN Chicago’s operations and activities and is committed to strengthening the nonprofit community. Serving on the board offers a unique opportunity to influence the direction of Chicago’s nonprofit sector and the chance to interact with the city’s best and brightest public service leaders.
How It Works
While all board members are involved in shaping the direction of YNPN Chicago, the board structure invites a primary focus on one specific area of the organization. Currently, our focus areas include: Communications, Programming, Membership, Special Events, Finance, Development, and coordination with YNPN National. YNPN Chicago remains flexible in changing focus areas depending on evolving needs and capacity. Board members serve a two-year term and are required to attend monthly meetings on a designated weekday evening. Board members host meetings at their offices, which are typically downtown. Individuals elected to the board are also expected to contribute financially in the form of one-time annual dues of $75.
Who We Look For
- A passion for the mission of YNPN Chicago and the larger nonprofit sector
- Ability dedicate an average of 10 hours per week on YNPN Chicago responsibilities and activities
- Organized, self-starters who are eager to contribute and able to accomplish projects with little supervision
- Deadline-driven and detail-oriented
- Ability to balance idea generation with execution
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- The ability to work independently and in a collaborative, team environment
- A clear track record of successful leadership
- Demonstrated skills and experience related to specific focus area
- Able to represent YNPN Chicago to the larger membership
Online applications for the 2017 – 2019 board term will be open July 5, 2017.
All applicants will be asked to submit an online application along with a resume and letter of reference no later than Friday, August 4 by 11:59 p.m. Letter of reference should be no more than one page in length and should be provided by your immediate supervisor or someone who knows you well professionally and/or personally. We encourage your recommender to provide explicit examples of your ability to fulfill the duties and expectations of a board member.
Candidates selected for an interview must be able to participate in an in-person interview the week of August 21. Interviews will take place in the evening beginning at 6:00 p.m. Candidates will be notified in mid-August if they have been selected for an interview. If elected for board service, Orientation will take place on a weekend in September.
Still have questions?
- Learn about the current board
- Contact Executive Co-Chairs Carlos and Sabina
- Check out the Top 5 Reasons to Join YNPN Chicago’s Executive Board