Job Title: External Affairs Manager
Title: External Affairs Manager
Reports to: Director of Strategic Partnerships
Functional Responsibilities: Brand management and storytelling, fundraising and development, strategic planning
Embarc’s mission is to cultivate postsecondary success by inspiring students to build their social capital, stretch the boundaries of their neighborhood, alter their world view, and seize opportunities in school and life. Embarc is regarded as one of the most exciting emerging nonprofits in Chicago that specializes in combining a robust 3-year curriculum with immersive, hands on learning experiences that connect students to multiple sectors of the Chicago community to drive academic skills and close the achievement gap.
Since inception in 2010, Embarc has served over 1200 students who have achieved an average 97% graduation rate, 92% college enrollment rate, and 97% overall postsecondary success. Embarc has grown from serving 25 students in 2010 to nearly 700 students in the 2016-2017 school year in 14 high schools across Chicago Public Schools (CPS) with an operating budget of nearly $1.4 million. Our program impact is expected to double by 2020.
Embarc is looking for a dynamic storyteller and focused leader to join its highly-regarded and driven team.
This is a new and exciting position within Embarc which will help fuel our brand evolution as Embarc pushes to engage new audiences as we scale our program locally. Embarc is excited to bring in a creative individual to fulfill this role that is passionate about our mission and is seeking a rewarding challenge with significant opportunity for professional growth.
This role will collaborate closely with Embarc’s CEO and Director of Strategic Partnerships, and external partners in design, marketing, and public relations. The incoming External Affairs Manager will need to be energized by working in an entrepreneurial environment, possess an exceptionally high level of personal responsibility, and be equally comfortable managing back end processes, engaging with funders and other partners, and creating and driving strategy.
I. Brand Evolution and Storytelling (25%)
– Generate design collateral and photography to compellingly and authentically represent Embarc’s brand, in partnership with select public relations experts and artists donating their services and expertise to Embarc.
– Evolve the telling of Embarc’s story on innovative content platforms, deploying partnerships and external design, marketing and public relations resources, and social media opportunities.
– Leverage Board of Directors and Auxiliary Board resources wherever possible in advancement of external affairs strategies. Interface with CEO and Director of Strategic Partnerships to identify and address relevant skills and growth areas.
II. Event Management. (25%)
Take a leading role in organizing and managing two annual events (A New Movement and the Variety Spectacular) to drive year-over-year increases in net revenue (projected at more than $350,000 for the current year).
– Guide strategic planning for events and collaborate with Embarc staff and Boards to develop and execute strategies to increase ticket sales and net proceeds.
– Serve as primary liaison between staff, Auxiliary Board, and Board of Directors coordinating events to manage workflow and timelines.
– Manage relationships with external vendors and events staff.
– Develop innovative and impactful design materials with an eye to organizational branding. –
Leverage external partners in a budget-conscious manner.
– Partner with Director of Strategic Partnerships to cultivate and manage corporate donors and sponsors.
III. Create and execute annual and three-year strategic plan. (20%)
– Partner with the CEO, Board of Directors, and Director of Strategic Partnerships to create and effectively execute compelling annual and three-year external affairs plan, aligned with strategic and development plans, and framed to support strategic program growth goals and including new and existing strategic partnerships.
– Regularly assess progress towards near and long term goals and identify the key drivers of success or identify roadblocks.
IV. Evolve and maintain external affairs infrastructure and systems. (20%)
– Oversee all external affairs operations and reporting processes, including maintaining an external affairs calendar, ensuring deadlines are met, and tracking and communicating progress against key goals.
– Uncover authentic ways to thank donors and make them feel appreciate while aligning with external affairs goals and strategies.
– Collaborate with Director of Strategic Partnerships to evolve and maintain processes for donor stewardship.
V. Development Support (10%)
– Support CEO & Director of Strategic Partnerships as needed in refining fundraising language with an eye toward strategic partnerships with corporations, foundations, and individuals, and supporting organizational growth.
– Develop and execute at least 1 seasonal funding campaign to target individual donors.
Job Type: Full Time
SKILLS, EXPERIENCES, AND COMPETENCIES:
– At least a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university
– Minimum of 5 years experience working in a mission-driven and/or entrepreneurial organization.
– Dynamic and compelling storyteller with excellent communication skills who is able to articulate our work and why it is critical in an innovative manner to a multitude of stakeholders
– Strong critical thinking and analytical skills with an ability to develop and understand high level strategic objectives as well as the tactical details critical to achieving these objectives
– Meticulous attention to detail, record keeping, and organizational skills with an ability to manage multiple tasks
– Strong and polished interpersonal skills and exceptional electronic, oral, and written communication skills
– An extremely high level of personal responsibility with exceptional goal orientation and a proven track record of success
– Experience executing projects to meet and exceed ambitious goals with little supervision
– Have a love for event management and provide excellent customer service
– Familiarity with Google Calendar, Google Docs, Google Spreadsheet, Word, and PowerPoint
– The ability to work with a variety of people with different backgrounds and experiences
A willingness to work occasional nights and weekends
The External Affairs Manager will be required to make off-site visits to Embarc’s various partners and schools. With this in mind, External Affairs Manager should have a high level of comfort in navigating the city and its neighborhoods.
Education Requirement: Bachelors
How to Apply
Interested candidates must submit a cover letter and resume AS A SINGLE *.PDF to Eleanor Perrone at firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered. Only candidates being moved forward for consideration should expect a personal reply from Embarc.
Embarc is an equal opportunity employer. Embarc evaluates applicants for employment on the basis of qualifications, merit, and work related criteria without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, childbirth, medical condition, marital or familial status, family responsibilities, veteran status, personal appearance, political affiliation, matriculation, or any other characteristic protected by law. All applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of such status.
Please note all offers of employment are subject to and contingent upon the successful completion of a background check.
Last Day to Apply: 05/19/2017
Posted by: Eleanor Perrone, email@example.com