Job Title: Development Coordinator
Organization: Center for Economic Progress
The Center for Economic Progress (CEP) envisions an America of shared prosperity, where all can access the financial opportunities they need to succeed. CEP helps low-income, working families as a trusted provider of tax and financial services. From direct service to informing public policy, our programs improve the financial stability of those we serve. Annually, CEP staff and hundreds of volunteers provide high-quality tax preparation and tax-related legal and financial
services to over 20,000 clients in Chicago and surrounding communities. Everything we do is made possible and made better by our volunteers. Refer to www.economicprogress.org for more information about CEP’s programs.
The Development Coordinator is responsible for solicitation and stewardship strategies for the
organization’s annual fund comprised of individual donors giving < $1000. S/he also coordinates specific segments of the annual campaign among the Board, Associate Board, online audiences and volunteers, including all appeals. The Development Coordinator is also responsible for maintaining the fundraising database and ensuring accurate donor records, supporting special events and providing administrative support to the department. The Development Coordinator should be committed to the goals of the organization and be able to articulate those goals and CEP’s mission.
Individual Giving & Annual Campaign (40% of the position)
● Plan and execute both the mail and online appeal programs; develop narrative and write appeal letters and solicitation materials, serve as production manager for all aspects of the annual campaign.
● Conduct analysis of annual campaign by market segment, value of contributions and change in value of contributions. Develop custom reports and provide recommendations for future changes. Research, develop and implement web and social media-based fundraising strategies.
● Integrate new approaches and strategies into the campaign through ongoing research of best practices and innovation among nonprofit peers.
● Work closely with Volunteer Engagement Team to design, implement and evaluate fundraising
campaign that effectively stewards volunteers to ensure that they are cultivated properly for ongoing
donor participation. Ensure coordination around communication and messaging to volunteers.
● Build and maintain database of volunteers to track giving as well as opportunities to leverage their capacity to attract new donors.
● Work with the communications team to integrate consistent messaging and outreach to donor
segments via the web, social media and e-newsletters.
● Maintain accurate information regarding on-line platforms and CEP’s success in accessing current and prospective donors through communications channels.
● Provide administrative, editing, and research support for major gift fundraising
Associate Board (15%)
● Manage the Associate Board membership and serve as primary staff lead for recruitment and
● Work closely with identified staff to bolster Associate Board engagement in fundraising (via
matching gifts, year-end appeal, specific campaigns, etc.) and volunteer involvement. Coordinate
Associate Board member participation in personalizing donor correspondence and communication — including phone calls and invitations.
● Oversee logistics for Associate Board events. Ensure adequate staff and Associate Board coordination for key events and projects including Toast to Tax Season, Counting on Progress, volunteer pilot projects, and volunteer recruitment initiatives.
● Facilitate communication between the Associate Board and Board of Directors, and, specifically
individual board committees, ensuring representation of Associate Board members.
● Maintain documentation of Associate Board Activities and communications portals such as
Google groups and Google site.
Database Management and Donor Tracking (15% of the position)
● Conduct tracking of all requests and contributions, providing timely donor acknowledgement letters and communication. Ensure accurate record-keeping of all contributions and track by year.
● Identify opportunities for analysis, producing reports and evaluations.
● Write and revise CRM procedures for SalesForce. Responsible for upholding best practices in database management, updating of all records and train and support staff on said practices, as needed. Manage all mailing and contact lists ensuring their accuracy.
Special Events (10% of the position)
● Support planning for the annual Counting on Progress event and other special events.
● Assist with logistics for all events, assuming lead role when needed.
● Assist with the solicitation of sponsors and in-kind donations.
● Coordinate all record-keeping and data base management for event invitees and attendees.
Institutional Giving Support (10% of the position)
● Assist with the preparation or submission of proposals, budgets, and reports, as directed by the Director of Institutional Giving.
● Conduct foundation and corporate prospect research to identify new funding opportunities, as directed by the Director of Institutional Giving.
Other (5% of the position)
● Attend and actively participate in required educational programs and departmental and staff
● Protect organization's value by keeping information confidential.
● Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional
publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
● Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Location: 567 W Lake, Suite 1150, Chicago, IL, 60661
Job Type: Full Time
● A Bachelor’s degree is required, with demonstrated pursuit of continuing education in the philanthropic sector.
● Three years of experience in development (fundraising, donor relations and/or marketing) or related field. Preference for experience in prospect research, writing, editorial support, and messaging of fundraising requests.
Special Knowledge & Skills
● Overall grasp and knowledge of the philanthropic community and funding cycles.
● Proven track record with non-profit fundraising; demonstrated ability to conduct research, and garner individual donations.
● Computer literacy and general office skill set required, including familiarity with word processing, spreadsheets, database and Internet. Experience with Salesforce is a plus.
● Knowledge of and interest in financial security issues and topics is a plus.
● This position operates in a professional office environment that is accessible as well as off-site
locations. Those sites may not necessarily be fully accessible
● This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, scanners, filing cabinets, and fax machines
● While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear
● The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move objects up to 50 pounds
● This position may require evening or weekend work occasionally
● Some travel to offsite locations in the Chicago metro area may be expected. Occasionally, some out-of-the-area travel may be expected
● Workplace is a smoke- and drug-free environment
● Decisions and criteria governing the employment relationship with all employees are made in a non-discriminatory manner, without regard to race, ethnicity, creed, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, citizenship status, military service and/or marital status, order of protection status, handicap, disability, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state, or local statutes
Education Requirement: Bachelors
How to Apply
• Submit cover letter, resume, and salary requirement to: email@example.com
• Please write your name (Last, First) in the re: line of your e-mail.
• Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
• Candidates will be considered immediately and the position begins as soon as possible.
Last Day to Apply: 01/31/2018
Posted by: Brian Grundy, firstname.lastname@example.org